Blended marriages – Second marriages and Wills – that is marrying or partnering for a second or more time comes with with its own set of legal issues including how protect your assets from your new spouse or partner in the event of another divorce or separation and how to protect your estate (Will) from successful challenge from your former spouse/partner or your current spouse/partner or your children or your step children!
Needless to say what is required is careful estate and family law planning, including:
- Have you made a new valid will-separation itself does not revoke your current will;
- Consider entering into a Binding Financial Agreement;
- Consider the benefits of Trusts to protect assets from future separation and testamentary trusts for asset protection after death;
- Enduring powers of Attorney – who will look after your financial affairs if you lose capacity- your new spouse/partner , a child of your first relationship ? or a child from the second relationship?
- Appointment of Guardian – who will make medical and lifestyle decisions for you –
These are just a few of the considerations and available options – Contact Us to set up an appointment to discuss Estate and Family Law Planning.
THE NORTON LAW GROUP – EXPERTS IN WILLS ESTATE AND FAMILY LAW PLANNING